Best Pole Spear on the Market 2018: Best Products Revealed
When, I was 6 years old, my father first told me and introduced to me his favorite hobby, Spearfishing. But instead of showing me his speargun, he handed me a simpler and safer alternative, the Pole Spear. It was handmade and decently effective but with the constant use and frequent submersion to water, it became more susceptible to wear and tear.
Maybe because the material that my father used was not that sophisticated. He only utilizes scrap material that can function as a band and spear and that?s it. I enjoyed using it but doesn't last long because the band became brittle and lost its elasticity and snapped.
Unlike these days, pole spears are more advanced in terms of the materials being used and its designs. It is more accurate and easy to use with a lot of varieties and design to choose from. I listed top 5 of the best pole spears you might want to look at. Let?s check it one by one.
96 x 1 x 1
36 x 4 x 4
36 x 4 x 4
40 x 2 x 1
6 - 9
Top 5 Best Pole Spears:
This is one of the bestsellers of Scuba Choice and definitely my choice for beginners and experts alike. It is made from fiberglass with a stainless steel tip thus piercing and pins the target harder. The 3 pronged tip with paralyzing barb provides a better chance of hit and escape is almost impossible for the target.
Though a little heavier and slower compared other pole spears, it punches through the target much more because of its weight. At 7 feet long this will be best suited for bigger and larger target with sure penetration.
What I Liked:
What I Didn?t Like:
This pole spear is definitely the best when it comes to portability and convenience suitable for travelers and alike. It is a three piece spear that can easily assemble and dismantle if you wish to use it anytime you like.
It can be adjusted if you prefer shorter or longer spear during spearfishing. It comes very handily for it could fit into your backpack by breaking it into small pieces by section as desired when traveling.
Constructed from a highly durable Carbon Fiber weave that makes it more rigid and precise when hitting its target. The aircraft grade Aluminum lessens water resistance making it faster when released underwater.
What I Liked:
What I Didn?t Like:
I really love underwater fishing and if there are one particular species that I really love to hunt is the Lionfish. Every time I caught one I cook it myself and I find it's white and buttery meat very tasty especially when grilled. And if there?s one pole spear that is very effective at catching me one is no other than my Bandito-3116-Pole-Spear.
This is a one piece, three pronged pole spear which is perfect for killing a Lionfish. The butt and tip are made from Aluminum and equipped with 2 collar type paralyzing barb that ensures kill and catch.
With its heavy duty band and fiberglass construction, a strong punch can be delivered upon impact making the target incapacitated for any chance of escape.
What I Liked:
What I Didn?t Like:
Things You Need To Know Before Starting
Most beginners are very eager and excited to test their spearfishing skill after having their first pole spear but there are things that you have to consider first before starting your hunt and chase. I made a list of these considerations and I also added some tips to make your spearfishing more exciting and fun.
1. Fishing Licence
This is a must and you can have it online. Make sure you have it with you everytime you go fishing and be sure to read all the guidelines and regulations to avoid penalties.
2. Underwater Equipment
Aside from your personal swimming gears and pole spear, you can actually rent anything that you will need. However, you may consider of having some of these things below.
- An extra pole spear tip is advisable because you cannot avoid miss and eventually may hit some corals and rocks that could damage your spear tip.
- Then don?t forget to bring a Stringer, this is where you clip all your catch. You can attach it to your belt and it is very useful and affordable.
- A Weight Belt would be a great help to keep you underwater with less effort. It counteracts Buoyancy so you can maintain better aim and stability underwater during the hunt.
- Neoprene Diving Gloves with pentagrip technology is a plus, it keeps your hands warm and provides more grip.
- A Dive knife can be useful and might come handy along the way during diving.
- A lot of varieties are available on the market with great design, just make sure it is corrosion free.
3. Your Skill Set
Know your limits first so that you can establish your baseline on which part you will try to improve the most. Like for example in breathing, test yourself first by holding your breath as long as you can without moving.
Remember that when you are underwater the more you move the more air you will consume giving you a lesser chance to perform a hunt. Here are some tips which could be very helpful in improving your skill set.
- Practice diving to improve your breathing, the longer you can hold your breath underwater the better chance you have for a longer hunt.
- Do not rush just go slow and glide freely, in this way you will save a lot of air. The slower and quieter you move the closer you can get to the target unnoticed.
- Do some scouting around your area, holes, and rocks are an ideal place where mostly fishes are lurking and hiding. These marine structures are also the best place where you can conceal or hide for the incoming prey.
- Be as sneaky you could be. Any unwanted motion or noise can alarm the prey of your presence and before you know it the fish already gone.
- Do not chase you are not a fish and you can not outrun them.
- Do perform breathing and aerobic exercises regularly. This will help you increase your lung capacity making you able to hold more air for a longer period of time.
- Camouflage is the best during hunting so wear something that would somehow make you invisible to your prey.
Spearfishing seems to be fun and exciting but there are a lot of dangers and risks involved with it that I should be more cautious about.
- Surge and Currents: It can suck you out so pay attention to it. It can actually sweep you far away and can push you to rocks and reefs. So as much as possible never swim to wrecks and caves where currents and surge are strong.
- Ear Damage: Ear Pressure Equalization is essential to prevent permanent ear damage or hearing loss. If you starting to feel pain on your ears do not descend further anymore.
- Drowning: Now this is life threatening so it is strongly recommended that do spearfishing by pairs. A diving buddy keeping an eye on each other is better than being alone and helpless.
- Accidental Spearing: This can be avoided only if both diving partners are properly oriented and trained about Spearfishing Rules. The Do?s and Don'ts in handling a spear should be well explained and observed before and during each dive.
- Freediving Blackout/ Shallow Water Blackout: Loss of consciousness or Fainting due to the lack of oxygen supply to the brain.
- Sharks: This is one dangerous fish so it is better to use a float to string up your fishes and get them out of the water as soon as possible. There are Shark Deterrent tools that you can use that are quite effective on keeping the sharks away from you.
It is really very hard to choose the perfect pole spear considering that they are all greatly designed and is almost equally efficient in spearfishing. But what's the best for me is the Evolve Carbon Fiber Pole Spear for its versatility and Engineering design.
Though a little more expensive from the rest, still it worth the money you are going to spend. It is well-crafted, highly engineered, and most of all convenient for everyday use anywhere you want.
So which one is the best pole spear for you? You may share us your thoughts and some advice on the comment section below.